San Diego Things to Do: Gaslamp Quarter
San Diego is more than beautiful beaches, hiking and outdoor activities. San Diego is also home to great night life, restaurants, entertainment and shopping. See our article, ‘San Diego Things to do: Gaslamp Quarter’ for more details!
San Diego has something for everyone in the family, but for the young adults, to not so young adults, one part of San Diego may be of particular interest; the Gaslamp Quarter.
This article, ‘San Diego Things to do: Gaslamp Quarter’ – outlines some of the best restaurants, bars, lounges, nightclubs, shops and other venues you may wish to experience during your next visit to San Diego.
About San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter:
When you visit San Diego, you have many attractions and activities to choose from. If you enjoy the nightlife, great restaurants and night time entertainment, the Gaslamp Quarter is just for you.
Best of all, The Keating Hotel is located in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter…take a step out the lobby door and the night is yours to make of it what you will; enjoy a great dinner, take in a show, watch your favorite sports team at one of the Sports Bars, have a laugh at one of the Comedy Clubs, dance into the late hours at one of the top night clubs or Rooftop Bars…the choice is yours. Enjoy!
Tips & Facts for visiting San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter:
- General: San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter spans 16 ½ blocks of lively entertainment venues, restaurants, night clubs, interesting shops and boutiques, the occasional Sports Bar, Comedy Club, a popular Piano Bar and 2 theaters; The Balboa Theater and the Spreckels Theater which host top name entertainers, singers, comedians and more. The Gaslamp Quarter is located just outside the lobby door of The Keating Hotel, but the Gaslamp is also accessible via the Trolley Lines, Bus, Uber or Taxi.
- Restaurants: The Gaslamp Quarter is a food lovers paradise, offering a collection of chain restaurants and many independent restaurants covering a wide variety of cuisines and price ranges, from casual to upscale. Visitors may choose to enjoy a classic burger and beer at one of the great Sports Bars in the Gaslamp Quarter; Gaslamp Tavern, Quad Ale House, Tipsy Crow, Social Tap Room or Bub’s at the Ballpark, or enjoy some of the best Sushi at customer favorites; Nobu, Nara Sushi, Full Moon Sushi or Taka Sushi to name a few. Gaslamp Quarter also offers a wide variety of other dining options for many other cuisines including; American, Asian cuisine, Thai, Mexican, Italian and more.
- Night Clubs & Lounges: Come get your dance on! The Gaslamp Quarter is mecca for San Diego nightlife with a line up of night clubs from the lounges like; Oxford Social Club, Side Bar and Prohibition, to the larger, mega night clubs like; PARQ, Omnia and Onyx. If you enjoy something a little more ‘elevated’ take your pick of numerous Rooftop Bars like; The Nolan, Float, Level 9 and others.
- Entertainment: If you’re looking for a bit of live entertainment, concerts or a laugh, check out the talent at Comedy Clubs; The American Comedy Club or Mad House Comedy Club. Two theaters call the Gaslamp Quarter home; The Balboa Theater and Spreckels Theater. If you’re someone who likes to watch amateurs entertain the masses, or if you like to belt out a tune yourself, stop by the usually raucous Piano Bar; The Shout! House. There are several great smaller bars that offer live music like Patrick’s Gaslamp Bar (located next door to The Keating Hotel), Whiskey Girl, and others. For any recommendations, be sure to ask the concierge at The Keating -they will be happy to help point you in the direction of your tastes.
- Shopping: If you’re looking to get in a bit of shopping during your stay, the Gaslamp Quarter is home to some great specialty shops and larger stores offering a variety of products and goods, including; Bubbles Boutique offering unique women’s wear, Gaslamp Garage sells vintage Gas Station themed items, Sugar Factory is a mecca for candy lovers, movie buffs and a more than lively and memorable way to celebrate birthdays. These are just a few of the great stores to discover in the Gaslamp Quarter.
As always, feel free to ask the Concierge at The Keating Hotel for any recommendations, reservations or other advice on ‘Things to do in San Diego’ during your stay.
View information on San Diego Restaurants >
View our current Special Offers for the Guaranteed Best Rates at our Downtown San Diego Hotel.