San Diego Things to Do: Top San Diego Museums
Are you planning a visit to sunny San Diego and looking to experience a bit of the arts and culture to be found in the city? See our article, ‘San Diego Things to do: Top San Diego Museums.’
When you think of San Diego you think of beautiful beaches, great food, perfect weather and top amusement parks and zoos. Youi don’t often think of ‘Arts & Culture’ or museums. But San Diego is also home to some very popular museums displaying works of art, historical artifacts, and more.
This article, ‘San Diego Things to do: Top San Diego Museums’– presents you with insight on the museums you may like to explore when visiting our sunny, beautiful beach town.
About San Diego Museums:
When you visit San Diego, you have many attractions and activities to choose from. One of the popular things to do in San Diego is visiting San Diego Museums, and there are more than 90 museums to choose from in the San Diego area.
San Diego represents a broad span of cultures, historical events, and artistic genres, and you’ll find most interests and subjects reflected in the holdings of San Diego Museums. From fine art to transportation, you’ll be able to view exciting exhibits and displays at San Diego Museums across the county.
San Diego Museums house important works, from classic to contemporary art to historical artifacts. These San Diego Museums delve into science and natural history, and most everything in between.
Tips for Visiting San Diego Museums:
- Balboa Park, often referred to as the “Smithsonian of the West,” houses 16 San Diego Museums in what is the largest urban park in the United States. Visit Balboa Park to view art, aviation exhibits, technology, and science, oceanic exhibits within what is one of the top San Diego Attractions in itself.
- If you are visiting Balboa Park over the course of a few days, you can take advantage of the ‘Passport to Balboa Park’, which includes 1 admission to up to 16 San Diego Museums over the course of 7 consecutive days. San Diego visitors staying for just 1 day can purchase a ‘Stay-for-the-Day Pass’ that includes admission to 5 San Diego Museums in 1 day.
- San Diego’s Old Town, the “birthplace of California,” features several interesting historical sites and San Diego Museums, many of which offer free admission.
Interesting Facts About San Diego Museums:
- At the center of San Diego’s Old Town, you’ll find 5 historic buildings in the Whaley House Museum Complex. The main building in this complex, the Whaley House, is noted as the number 1 most haunted housed in the United States by the Travel Channel’s America’s Most Haunted.
- View a rare, original stagecoach at the Wells Fargo Museum in Old Town.
- Most San Diego Museums are child friendly, but the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center specifically caters to children, bringing science to life in Balboa Park with hands-on experiments that are sure to make a child want to learn more.
- The San Diego Model Railroad Museum features an interactive Lionel train layout for children.
San Diego Museum Locations and Contact Information:
- Balboa Park is located at: 1549 El Prado, San Diego, CA 921010
- Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is located at: 1875 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101. Tel: 619-238-1233
- San Diego Air and Space Museum is located at: 2001 Pan American Plaza, San Diego, CA 92101. Tel: 619-234-8291
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum is located at: 1649 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101. Tel: 619-696-0199.
- Whaley House Museum is located at: 2476 San Diego Avenue, San Diego CA 92110. Tel: 619-297-9327.
This article, ‘San Diego Things to do: Top San Diego Museums’ gives you just a bit of information on the many exciting museums in and around San Diego. Should you have any other questions about visiting any of the museums mentioned in this article, please feel free to ask the Concierge at The Keating Hotel. They will be happy to assist you.
View our current Special Offers for the Guaranteed Best Rates at our Downtown San Diego Hotel.