San Diego Activities: Visit the San Diego Zoo
The San Diego Zoo is considered one of the best Zoo’s in the world, with over 3,700 animals, expansive educational center and ‘hands on’ exhibits, this makes it one of the most popular San Diego Activities.
A visit to the San Diego Zoo is sure to be on the top of the list for almost any visitor to our sunny coastal community.
The San Diego Zoo is located within San Diego’s Balboa Park, another top San Diego Activity that includes museums, restaurants, exhibits, live music and more.
The San Diego Zoo is home to more than 3,700 animals and more than 650 species that roam around in unique habitats like their natural environments in the wild.
San Diego Zoo
2920 Zoo Drive
San Diego, CA 92101
Distance from The Keating Hotel: 1.3 miles
Why You Should Visit the San Diego Zoo:
The San Diego Zoo is famous for presenting its animals in cageless exhibits, with large spaces for them to roam in and displays that recreate the real surroundings of animal habitats from all over the world.
The San Diego Zoo is one of the few zoos on the planet to keep a Giant Panda, and the popular Koalafornia Adventure Exhibit – an Australian experience of native birds and animals.
Some of the other popular animal exhibits include; Polar Bears, Elephants, Buffalos, Otters, Mountain Lions, Tigers, Clouded Leopards, and even Wombats.
The San Diego Zoo has a gondola lift that provides an aerial view of the entire zoo and parts of Balboa Park. You can also ride an open-air tour bus that covers 75% of the zoo, past exhibits housing monkeys, birds, forest animals, and more.
What to know about visiting the San Diego Zoo:
- The exhibits at the San Diego Zoo are typically designed around a habitat, featuring animals that would normally be found side-by-side in the world. Work your way from exhibits representing life in Africa and the Arctic to homes for animals originating in North American in Malaysia.
- The San Diego Zoo has several interesting exhibits programs for enjoying the zoo, including; A Wild Night Out for a night time visit for ‘over 21’ guests, Early Morning with Pandas, Insider Look Tours and an Exclusive VIP Experience package to name a few.
- The San Diego Zoo is located just 1.3 miles from The Keating Hotel, about 6 minutes by car, taxi, or Uber.
- Exhibits at the San Diego Zoo range from African rain forest habitats, featuring large Gorillas, to an Arctic Tundra display with fascinating Polar Bears inside.
- Some of the largest free-flight aviaries in the world are featured at the San Diego Zoo.
- The temperate, sunny climate in San Diego is perfectly suitable to many of the plants and animals at the San Diego Zoo. The San Diego Zoo features an impressive Arboretum on site, with rare plant collections, in addition to the many amazing Birds, Animals, Reptiles, and Mammals that you’ll encounter.
During your next visit to San Diego be sure to spend a day at one of the most popular San Diego Activities; a visit to the San Diego Zoo!
See our San Diego Visitors Blog for informative articles about all there is to do, see and experience during your next visit to San Diego.
View our San Diego Photo Gallery >