Visit San Diego Zoo Safari Park: San Diego Activities
Let’s get wild! Spend the day interacting with wild animals, birds, monkeys & more at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
The San Diego Zoo Safari Park (previously known as the ‘San Diego Wild Animal Park’) is an 1,800-acre Zoo and Wildlife Park located in North San Diego County, within a short drive from The Keating Hotel.
The San Diego Zoo Safari Park
15500 San Pasqual Valley Road
Escondido, CA 92027
Distance from The Keating Hotel: 33 Miles
Why You Should Visit the San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
When you visit San Diego, plan on spending a day at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. This popular attraction houses many interesting species originating from the continents of Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia, and North and South America.
The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is spread out to replicate the natural environment of the various animals, in contrast to many Zoo exhibits that feature animals in small cages and habitats. The most notable attraction within the San Diego Zoo Safari Park is the African Tram, which takes tourists on a ride through the African exhibits, allowing guests to see wild animals in an open setting.
On the African Tram, animal species you can see include, Antelopes, Giraffes, Cranes, Buffalo, Rhinos, Elephants and more.
The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is home to the California Condor Breeding Program, the most successful of such programs in the United States.
What you should know about visiting the San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is easily reached by rental car, Uber, or bus. The park is located 32 miles away from downtown San Diego, near Escondido, California (along State Route 78).
- Even though the Park has a tram that goes through the Africa exhibits, the other animal enclosures are spread out so make sure you wear good walking shoes so you can enjoy the entire park.
- Sunny San Diego can be very warm at times, so bring sunscreen and cool clothing in summer months. During the other seasons, be sure to pack a jacket and pants to wear as the temperature cools.
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park welcomes more than 2 million guests annually.
- This top San Diego activity houses more than 2,600 animals representing more than 300 species.
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park keeps more than 3,500 plant species on its grounds.
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is home to the world’s largest Veterinary Hospital and sits next door to the Institute for Conservation.
Schedule time during your next visit to San Diego to visit San Diego Zoo Safari Park, an interesting and educational activity for the entire family.
See our San Diego Visitors Blog for informative articles about all there is to do, see and experience during your next visit to San Diego.
View our San Diego Photo Gallery >