San Diego Attractions: Balboa Park
Balboa Park is one the most visited San Diego Attractions. Balboa Park hosts an expansive, beautiful park, numerous live music performances, museums and the San Diego Zoo.
San Diego’s Balboa Park
1549 El Prado
San Diego, CA 92101
About San Diego’s Balboa Park:
One of the most popular San Diego Attractions is Balboa Park. Balboa Park is much more than a park, this amazing destination features several botanical gardens, 16 major San Diego Museums, renowned performing arts venues, and the famous San Diego Zoo.
Balboa Park offers something for the entire family, with one-of-a-kind experiences that please young and old alike and serve a variety of interests.
Why You Should Visit San Diego’s Balboa Park:
When you’re looking for interesting, entertaining and even educational things to do in San Diego, visit Balboa Park and have dozens of activities to choose from; museums, restaurants, shops and even the San Diego Zoo. In fact, you could stay in San Diego for nearly 3 weeks, and choose 1 attraction in Balboa Park a day to explore, and still not see it all.
Balboa Park presents a changing calendar of live music concerts, theatrical performances, San Diego Museum exhibits, educational classes, and so much more. In one amazing location, you can view Lionel model trains, take your kids to a children’s museum, stroll through lovely flora and fauna, and learn a little about the fine arts.
Tips for Visiting San Diego’s Balboa Park:
- San Diego’s Balboa Park sits in downtown San Diego, just moments from The Keating Hotel. Take a taxi, private car, or public transportation and get to one of the top San Diego attractions within minutes.
- Make sure you visit some of the San Diego Museums inside of Balboa Park, such as the Rueben H. Fleet Science Center and the San Diego Museum of Man.
- Many San Diego visitors enjoy walking through the stunning Japanese Friendship Garden in Balboa Park.
- The Balboa Park Visitors’ Center, located across the street from The Prado Restaurant in the House of Hospitality, has a comprehensive stockpile of brochures, maps, and audio tours to help you get the most out of your visit to Balboa Park.
- Visitors can enjoy the grounds of Balboa Park 24-hours a day, but the hours at the San Diego Museums and buildings inside the park vary, so call ahead.
Interesting Facts About San Diego’s Balboa Park:
- Active military and their families can get into many Balboa Park facilities for free on the first 4 Tuesdays of the month.
- Balboa Park features a gift shop, which sells interesting books, CD’s, videos, gifts, and signature items made by the Park.
- The world-famous San Diego Zoo is located within Balboa Park, so plan for an extra day full of visiting some of the interesting animals and exhibits at one of the world’s best zoos.
- Admission to Balboa Park is free, but most of the facilities inside the Park do charge (the Botanical building and most of the gardens are exceptions).
View our San Diego Photo Gallery >
Visit our San Diego Travel Blog for interesting articles about all there is to do, see and experience on your next visit to San Diego!