Things to do in San Diego: Visit San Diego Zoo Safari Park
This latest San Diego Travel Blog article, ‘Things to do in San Diego: Visit San Diego Zoo Safari Park’ highlights all the exciting things and amazing animals you can see at this amazing San Diego attraction.
San Diego is known for its world class San Diego Zoo and its sister property, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park which gives visitors an amazing and unique experience for viewing and interacting with wild animals.
Our latest San Diego Travel Blog article; 'Things to do in San Diego: Visit San Diego Zoo Safari Park' – introduces you to this incredible 1,800-acre Zoo which is one of the largest and one of the most visited tourist attractions in San Diego County.
San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Location: 15500 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027
Distance from The Keating Hotel: 33 Miles
About the San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
The San Diego Zoo Safari Park used to be known as the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Regardless of its name change, however, it is still one of the top Attractions in San Diego offering fun for all ages. The Safari Park features 1,800 acres of habitat for wildlife, and stunning creatures inside, and it sits just a short drive from downtown San Diego.
If you enjoy seeing rare, endangered, and foreign animals in habitats that are as close to their natural environment as a Zoo can get, you’ll love the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
Why You Should Visit the San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
The Safari Park is spread out over 1,800 acres and built to make the animals’ environment look much more like their natural homes than you’ll see at other animal parks. Instead of viewing these gorgeous creatures in cages, you’ll observe them walking through Savannah-like grounds with their herds and watch them basking in open vistas that are similar to where they would normally gather.
At the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, visitors can view beautiful animals from the continents of Africa, Asia, North America, South America, Europe, and Australia.
Tips for Visiting the San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
- Ride the African Tram at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, which will take you through the African exhibits. The tram passes by free-roaming animals like giraffes, antelopes, buffaloes, rhinos, and even cranes.
- The Safari Park is located near Escondido, California (off State Route 78), a short drive from The Keating about 33 Miles, so you can easily travel by car rental car, Uber/Lyft or taxi.
- The animal habitats are spread out at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, so you’ll be doing a lot of walking. Wear comfortable shoes and bring a lot of water to keep yourself hydrated.
- If you’re visiting the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in the summer months, make sure you bring sunscreen to keep yourself protected, as many of the animal viewing areas are entirely outdoors. Pack a jacket and pants, if needed, during the rest of the year.
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park features expansive, free-range enclosures that house beautiful animals including, Rhinoceros, Giraffe, Buffalo, Antelopes and more.
Interesting Facts About the San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park houses the world’s largest veterinary hospital.
- The Safari Park is home to over 2,600 animals which represents more than 300 species, as well as 3,500 species of plants in the complex.
- The Safari Park is also Southern California's quarantine center for Zoo animals imported into the United States through San Diego.
- The park has the world's largest veterinary hospital. Next door to the hospital is the Institute for Conservation Research, which holds the park's Frozen Zoo which is a genetic storage facility with genetic matter is stored for artificial insemination, vitro fertilization and cloning and embryo transfer.
- The park famous for its incredible California Condor Breeding Program – which is the most successful breeding program in the United States for this beautiful endangered bird species.
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park welcomes more than 2 million visitors annually.
- Lion Camp
- African Woods & African Outpost
- Condor Ridge
- Park Tours & Rides – includes African Tram
- Safari’s – including Caravan Safari, Cart Safari, Cheetah Safari, Behind the Scenes Safari & more!
This San Diego Travel Blog article; 'Things to do in San Diego: Visit San Diego Zoo Safari Park' introduces you to this amazing animal park that's definitely worth the visit.
Visit our San Diego Visitors Guide for more recommendations for all there is to do, see and experience when visiting San Diego.