Enjoy a Day Trip from San Diego
Taking one of these great San Diego Day Trips is a great way to explore and enjoy more of what Southern California has to offer!
When you visit San Diego, taking a day trip to get away from the perfect weather, beautiful beaches, great activities and fantastic restaurants may not be at the top of your list of ‘things to do’ but there are many great destinations you can explore that are a short Day Trip away.
Here are a few of our favorites San Diego Day Trips:
- Palm Springs: This beautiful destination is a cool as it is retro hip with new and resorted shops, restaurants and hotels from the 1950’s and 1960’s. Many San Diegans depart to Palm Springs to enjoy a day at the pool, sipping Martini’s and imaging what it was like to lounge around in the ‘old days.’ Palm Springs is a 2.5-hour drive from The Keating Hotel.
- Temecula - Wine Country: Just a short 1-hour drive from Downtown San Diego, Temecula is the recognized Wine Country of Southern California. With over 40 wineries to choose from, you are sure to find a favorite. Wine lovers and even the newbies will enjoy this San Diego Day Trip because almost all the wineries offer wine making classes and tasting classes to help you understand the art of wine making and tasting. Wine Tours are available with transportation to and from the wineries. Temecula is approximately 1-hour drive north of The Keating Hotel.
- LEGOLAND: Legos? It’s not just for kids anymore! But let’s face it, there’s nothing wrong with being a kid for a day and imagine yourself back on the living room floor, building your empire with these long-loved building blocks of our youth. Who would have imagined that these colorful plastic blocks would one day be the star of their own amusement park…and several animated movies? A Day Trip to LEGOLAND is a great way to remember how fun Legos really are! LEGOLAND is a short 40-minute drive from The Keating Hotel.
- Big Bear: Amazing skiing in the Winter and a beautiful mountain retreat in the Summer that provides a great, cool weather, break from the sunny city of San Diego. Big Bear is a 3-hour drive from The Keating Hotel.
- Disneyland: You don’t need to ask us twice to spend a day (or 2) at the ‘Happiest Place on Earth!’ You can easily spend a day or two at the two Disneyland Parks – and we have. The original park has all the longtime favorite rides; Matterhorn, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted House, and the new Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. The newer, California Adventures Park has Grizzly Peak, Cars Land, Hollywood Land and more. Disneyland is 1.5 hours drive north from The Keating.
- Laguna Beach: This beautiful seaside community is a great Day Trip from San Diego. You’ll find wonderful art galleries, shopping and great restaurants, many of them with fantastic views of the Pacific Ocean. The drive along the coast to and around Laguna Beach is just a rewarding as the walk around visit itself. You may consider taking one of the easy (and not so easy) coastal hikes during your day trip. Laguna Beach is approximately 1.5 hours north from The Keating Hotel.
Tips for taking Day Trips from San Diego:
- If you have not rented a car for your San Diego visit, you will want to rent a car for any of these Day Trips.
- As for the Day Trips to Temecula for the Winery Tours, we recommend that you take an organized tour because they will provide transportation to and from the wineries.
- When planning your San Diego Day Trip, check out the map before you leave and see what other places you can enjoy along the way. Many of the Day Trips we listed above will take all of one day (or more if you choose) and there are numerous ‘side stops’ you may want to enjoy along the way; hiking, restaurants, shopping, activities, etc.
See our San Diego Travel Blog for informative articles about all there is to do, see and experience during your next visit to San Diego.
View our San Diego Photo Gallery >