Visit Balboa Park: San Diego Activities
San Diego’s Balboa Park is one of the most popular San Diego Activities and it is home to stunning art exhibits, museums, nature displays, live entertainment & music and the San Diego Zoo!
San Diego’s Balboa Park is a 1,200-acre urban cultural park, the nation’s largest and it is home to 16 major San Diego Museums, many renowned performing arts venues, beautiful gardens, and the famous San Diego Zoo.
San Diego’s Balboa Park
1549 El Prado
San Diego, CA 92101
Distance from The Keating Hotel: 1.3 Miles
San Diego’s Balboa Park offers an ever-changing calendar of San Diego Museum exhibits, plays, concerts, musicals, and classes, all within one stunning and timeless location. This must-see San Diego attraction is on the top of many visitors’ “San Diego Things to Do” list, because of first-rate venues inside Balboa Park like the San Diego Natural History Museum, the Rueben H. Fleet Science Center, the San Diego Railroad Museum, the Japanese Friendship Garden, and the San Diego Museum of Man.
What you should know about visiting San Diego’s Balboa Park:
- When you visit San Diego’s Balboa Park, we recommend that you start your visit at the Balboa Park Visitors’ Center, located across the street from The Prado Restaurant in the House of Hospitality. The Visitors’ Center has complete and comprehensive information about all there is to do, see and experience in Balboa Park.
- The Visitors’ Center is open daily from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. At the Visitors’ Center provides maps, brochures, Audio Tours of Balboa Park, transportation information, advice on restaurants in Balboa Park, and more.
- The grounds at San Diego’s Balboa Park are open 24-hours a day, but the hours at the Visitors’ Center, San Diego Museums, and facilities within the park vary by institution.
- Inside the Visitors’ Center, you’ll find a charming gift shop stocked with a variety of handmade creations, gifts, books, souvenirs, DVD’s, videos and more.
- Balboa Park Central, a nonprofit organization that promotes Balboa Park-wide programs, runs San Diego’s Balboa Park Visitors’ Center.
- Most of the admissions to San Diego’s Balboa Park Museums and attractions are independently managed and arranged, so they vary by venue. Admittance to the Park itself is free, however, as is entry to the Botanical Building and most of the Gardens.
- Active military and their families receive free admission to many Park facilities on the first 4 Tuesdays of the month.
Be sure to ask our Concierge for up to date, seasonal information about the visiting Balboa Park during your stay.
Balboa Park is one of San Diego’s most popular things to do in San Diego. Come spend a day exploring the park, exhibits, museums, the San Diego Zoo and the beautiful gardens.
See our San Diego Visitors Blog for informative articles about all there is to do, see and experience during your next visit to San Diego.
View our San Diego Photo Gallery >