San Diego Activities: Visit San Diego Bay
A visit to San Diego Bay is one of the most popular things to do in San Diego! Come spend the day enjoying exciting water sports, relaxing parks, sandy beaches and more!
San Diego Bay is located just blocks from The Keating Hotel – so ‘fun on the bay is just blocks away!’
San Diego Bay is considered one of the best natural harbors in North America. Colonized by Spain in 1769, the San Diego Bay was used as a base headquarters for U.S. Navy Ships until the Unites States entered World War II and is currently home to 2 commercial ports and a very active Cruise Ship Port in San Diego.
Aside from being used for a variety of business purposes throughout its history, San Diego Bay is probably best known as a place of enjoyment for San Diego visitors and residents to participate in water sports, take part in leisure activities, and view stunning scenery.
Why you should explore San Diego Bay:
Many San Diego visitors love to explore San Diego Bay and spend time at the parks and nature preserves that dot the shoreline or setting sail on a sightseeing boat or enjoying a Whale-Watching Tour.
San Diego Bay is also home to 10 San Diego Museum Ships, which offer a variety of ways to learn something new during your San Diego vacation. Consider a tour of the USS Midway Museum in the San Diego Bay with your family or visit the aircraft carrier museum that is a great tour for the entire family.
You can spend an afternoon exploring San Diego’s Seaport Village which is set on the edge of San Diego Bay. Seaport Village is a beautiful cluster of shops, restaurants and entertainment options – fun for the entire family.
Tips for Exploring San Diego Bay:
- Make sure you head to the San Diego Bay on the Fourth of July for the Big Bay Boom, and annual fireworks display in San Diego.
- On 2 Sundays in December, San Diego’s Parade of Lights features more than 80 small boats with holiday decorations on them. This is a must-see San Diego Event when you visit San Diego during the holiday season.
- San Diego Bay is a great place to spend the entire day. You can swim, sunbathe, kayak, Jet Ski, take a Sailboat Tour or Windsurf in the Bay. Alongside San Diego Bay, dine at one of several San Diego Restaurants or attend a Concert on the Bay, one of the most fun San Diego Activities you’ll experience.
Interesting Facts about Visiting San Diego Bay:
- An inlet of San Diego Bay was renamed America’s Cup Harbor to commemorate the occasion of the same name that called the Bay home from 1988 to 1995.
- The San Diego Bay is lined by dozens of marinas and 9 Yacht Clubs, including the San Diego Yacht Club.
- The San Diego Bay is spanned by the San Diego – Coronado bridge, which was built in 1969. The Bridge rises 200 feet above the water so that Navy ships can pass under it.
For interesting articles about visiting San Diego, visit our San Diego Travel Blog and our San Diego Visitors Guide for recommendations about all there is to do, see and experience on your next visit to San Diego!