San Diego Attractions: San Diego Zoo Safari Park
The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is a very popular San Diego attraction and a great way to spend a day interacting with wild animals is very natural surroundings.
San Diego Zoo Safari Park
15500 San Pasqual Valley Road
Escondido, CA 92027
About the San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
The San Diego Zoo Safari Park formally known as the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Regardless of its name change, however, it is still one of the top San Diego attraction and fun for all ages. The San Diego Zoo Safari Park features 1,800 acres of habitat for wildlife, and stunning creatures inside, and located a short drive from downtown San Diego and The Keating Hotel.
If you want to see rare, endangered, and foreign animals in habitats that are as close to their natural environment as a zoo can get, come to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park and prepared to be amazed. Most San Diego visitors to the San Diego Safari Park immediately realize why the Safari Park is considered one of the top things to do in San Diego.
Why You Should Visit the San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
At the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, view beautiful animals from the continents of Africa, Asia, North America, South America, Europe, and Australia. The San Diego Safari Park provide a much more engaging animal encounter than a typical Zoo does.
The San Diego Safari Park is spread out to make the animals’ environment look much more like their natural homes than you’ll see at other animal parks. Instead of viewing these gorgeous creatures in cages, you’ll get to spy on them walking through Savannah-like grounds with their herds and watch them basking in open vistas that are similar to where they would normally gather.
Tips for Visiting the San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
- Ride the African Tram at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, which will take you through the African exhibits. The tram passes by free-roaming animals like giraffes, antelopes, buffaloes, rhinos, and even cranes.
- The Safari Park is located near Escondido, California (off State Route 78), a short drive from downtown San Diego so you can easily get there by rental car, Uber, taxi, or bus.
- The animal habitats are very spread out at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, so you’ll be doing a lot of walking. Wear comfortable shoes and bring a lot of water to keep yourself hydrated.
- If you’re visiting the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in the summer months, make sure you bring sunscreen to keep yourself protected.
Interesting Facts About the San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park houses the world’s largest veterinary hospital.
- The Safari Park keeps more than 3,500 species of plants on its grounds.
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is one of the top things to do in San Diego, welcoming more than 2 million visitors annually.
View our San Diego Photo Gallery >
Visit our San Diego Travel Blog for interesting articles about all there is to do, see and experience on your next visit to San Diego!